Why in the discussion?
After nearly two years of travel, NASA’s spacecraft Osiris-Rex reached the asteroids Bennu on December 3 and took a picture of a diamond-shaped rock. This spacecraft will revolve around Bennu’s orbit from the coming days that is, 31 December. It is noteworthy that no spacecraft has reached the orbit of such a small asteroid so far.
- This is the first American effort to collect asteroids sampling and return to Earth, before that, Japan has made some efforts in this area to some extent.
- In the year 2020, scientists will collect samples collected by this vehicle and by 2023 it will return to Earth.
- Scientists are eager to study the material of carbon rich asteroids such as Bennu, which is proof of the initial construction of our Solar System 4.5 billion years ago.
- Thus Bennu is similar to a celestial time capsule.
- Meanwhile, a Japanese spacecraft named Ryugu, will depart from earth to collect samples of asteroids from June. This is Japan’s second asteroid mission.
- Small orbiting bodies of the Sun between the orbits of Mars and Jupiter are called asteroids.
- These arithmetic shaped planets are orbiting the Sun in the elliptical orbit.
- Asteroids are the remains of planetary elements in which natural resources are contained in water, organic matter, metals etc.
- Bennu is also an asteroid known as ‘1999 RQ36’.
- On September 8, 2016 NASA launched the Spacecraft Osiris-REx from the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Florida, from the Atlas-U rocket.
- This spacecraft has been built by Lockheed Martin Space Systems.
- The full name of Osiris-REx is Origin, Spectral Interpretation, Resource Identification, Security-Regulith Exfoller, Asteroid Sample Return Mission.
- This NASA Space Mission will collect and study the specimen from the asteroid Bennu near the Earth.
- The purpose of this mission is to gather accurate information about the atmosphere and its texture on the asteroid.
- This spacecraft will collect samples of rocks and mineral elements on the surface of asteroids with the help of its robotic arm.
- There are five devices in this spacecraft, which are as follows –
♦ Osiris-Rex Laser Ultimate (OLA),
♦ Osiris-Rex Thermal Emission Spectrometer (OTES),
♦ Osiris-Rex Visible and Infrared Spectrometer (OVIRS),
♦ Osiris-Rex Camera Suite (OCAMS) and
♦ Regulith , X-ray Imaging Spectrometer (REXIS).
Source: The Hindu
Exceed SAT 1
Recently the American company Spesaks India’s first private satellite with 63 satellites in 17 countries exceed SAT -1 launched the (Exceed SAT1).
- Exide SAT-1 has been constructed by Axed Space, a Mumbai-based company. With the creation of this satellite, Acced Space has become the first private commercial company in India to send private satellite in space.
- This satellite weighs about one kg. And it is made from Aluminum Alloy.
- The lifetime of Exide SAT-1 is 5 years and it takes only 18 months to build it. Its cost is Rs . 2 crores .
- With the help of TV tuner, people will be able to get a signal from this satellite at the frequency of 145.9 MHz.
- This satellite has been launched by the SpaceX rocket Falcon 9 . Along with Falcon 9 , the remains of about 100 people have also been sent to space. Most of these relics include army veterans and the remains of people interested in space research. Earlier, in 1998, a vial filled with bones of astronaut Eugene Schumacher was sent into space with NASA’s Lunar Prospector mission .
- This was the 19th launch of the year by the American Personal Space Agency . In addition, the Falcon 9 was successful in setting up 64 satellites in the class, which is a US record. It is worth mentioning that on February 15, 2017, India had set a world record by launching 104 satellites at a time.
- Mangdechhu Hydroelectric Project is a hydroelectric project in Bhutan.
- Power Plant of 720 MW capacity has been constructed on the Mangdechu river in Bhutan.
- It is manufactured by Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) with the support of Government of India.
- This is one of ten planned hydroelectric projects in Bhutan for the production of 10,000 MW of hydro power by the year 2020.
USMCA Trade Agreement
The United States, Canada and Mexico have agreed to enter into an agreement that replaces the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
- The original NAFTA Agreement of 1994 has been renamed as the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement or the USMCA.
- The objective of NAFTA was to encourage economic activities by removing barriers to trade and investment between the US, Canada and Mexico.
- USMCA will provide a high standard trade agreement to workers, farmers and businessmen, resulting in a free market, better trade and economic development in the region.
- It will empower the middle class and create good salary jobs and new opportunities for nearly half a billion people in North America.
- President Ramnath Kovind inaugurated the 13th International Agriculture Fair- Agrotech India, 2018 in Chandigarh on December 1, 2018; Confederation of Indian Industry – CII organized this conference
- The birth anniversary of the country’s first President Dr. Rajendra Prasad on 3 December.
- International Day of International Day celebrated on December 3; Awarded to those who have done outstanding work for the empowerment of the people of Divyanjangan
- On December 4, former President Shri R. President Ramnath Kovind gave tribute to Venkataraman’s birth anniversary
- Air Force of India and Japan did Shinu Maitri, the 2018 Air Force study; It will be held in Air Force station Agra from December 3 to 7; Humanitarian assistance with disaster relief and disaster relief is the theme of military exercises
- The Bharat Jal Impact Conference, 2018, is being organized in New Delhi from December 5 to 7, 2018; National Clean Ganga Mission (NMCG) and Ganga River Basin Management and Study Center are jointly arranged
- The signing of the $ 85 million loan letter between the Government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB); Skill Development in Odisha, as well as improving ecosystem and establishment of World Skill Center (WSC) in Bhubaneswar
- Defense Minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman on five-day visit to America; From 5 to 7 December 2018, the visit of Honolulu will be the headquarters of the American Pacific Command (PACOM), Honolulu, recently given it the name ‘INDO-PACOM’
- COP 24 ‘is being organized in Katowice of Poland; Ministry of Finance of the Government of India issued ‘three essentials related to climate finance’ – ‘Scope, scale and speed: a reflection’
- Missile warship INS Betawa will be included in the Navy by the year 2020; In December 2016 it was crashing in Mumbai Naval Dockyard
- WTO Committee to be formed on India and US dispute
- Finger print data of 80 lakh criminals will be collected by the Central Government, most waited scheme – Invitations sent to companies to implement the National Automated Finger Print Identification System
- Technical member of Power Appellate Tribunal of the Ministry of Power, Ravindra Kumar Verma; The term of three years will be for more than 37 years, the work on various posts of the Central Electricity Authority, on 30th June, 2018, has been retired from the post of Chairman of CEA and Ex-officio Secretary to the Government of India.
- Sunil Arora, India’s 23rd Chief Election Commissioner, he o Before the 1980 Batch of the Rajasthan Cadre, the Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, who was working as the Election Commissioner of India, before the appointment of P. Rawat, has also given his services in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.